Sitting on the corner of State and Mary streets, the Castle has stood for over 130 years. Before being purchased by Mike Sr., it passed hands many times, including to U.S. senator in 1904 James Francis Allee.
Mike Harrington Sr.
Some of the historic houses, as well as the rest of the houses displayed here, are owned by Mike Harrington Sr.
Michael J. Harrington opened his first location in 1978. And just two years later, he opened his second location in Milford. Since opening his office doors, his realty company has ranked as high as 7th out of all competing companies nationwide – always staying in the top 50 out of thousands of offices.
Today, Mike boasts 2 offices, still located in Dover and Milford, and has over 150 real estate, insurance, and support staff professionals to help you. It is a multifaceted organization designed to handle every aspect of real estate by providing a one-stop shop which includes his real estate & insurance companies plus providing mortgage financing through his partnership with Keystone Funding.
The Palmer home, built in 1907, has remained almost unchanged since its opening. It was a home for the elderly run by The Kings Daughters until 1987, then was added to the National Registry of Historic Places in 1988.
From the National Register of Historic Places:
The Palmer Home sits on a slightly elevated, neatly landscaped, six lot plot in what was formerly known as “Bradford City” in Dover, Delaware. Both on the exterior and interior, the building has been little altered since it was originally constructed in 1907. The only major alteration is the two-story brick wing to the south which was added in 1930.
The Palmer Home is an eight bay, two and one-half story, gable roofed, brick, Colonial Revival building having a molded cornice with returns at each end of the main section. Paired partially exterior, brick chimneys are located at each gable end of the main section. There is an exterior brick chimney on the rear wing’s gable end. The building is laid in seven-course common bond. It has four pedimented dormers with six over six, double-hung sash windows on the facade. The roof is covered with asbestos shingles. The remaining windows are primarily six over six double hung except for the palladian window over the main entrance which has a keyed arch. In the middle of the exterior gable end chimneys are double windows with rounded brick arches on the first and second story and a smaller round arched window with a keyed brick arch at the attic. The remaining windows all have flat brick arches. The front door which has fifteen lights at the top and a paneled bottom has side lights with a decorative lead design.